Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Here is the "skinny"


I'm sure you are all tired of hearing about my weight loss but I am finally getting around to posting my (not so) glamorous photos of me through out the process.

The first set of photos was taken of me in the spring of 2009 when I had decided "I was going to lose weight!" I wanted to take a photo that showed me in ALL of my glory so I could look back and marvel at how far I had come! I'm sorry to say that I just didn't have the motivation to stick with it...just think how much farther along I could be if I had...

Then in the fall of 2010 Matt decided he was going to do something about his weight. He talked with is Dr. and a nutritionist and came up with a plan that would work for him. As he started to lose weight and drop pant sizes I couldn't have been happier for him! But as I would do the laundry it was getting harder to tell who's jeans were who's! I thought to myself "oh no, I don't THINK so!" I knew I needed to do something and fast!
One day while over at Auntie Viv's house (while planing the reunion) she told Sheri and I that her family was about to start a biggest loser contest. We both talked about how we needed something like that to light a fire under us!! The next day (Jan 28th) she called and told us that her family wanted us to join in and it was starting on Jan 31st! Talk about lighting a fire, we had two days to "get ready."

I had never before worried about calories, carbs, protein and new nothing about where to start. So Matt, being the supportive husband, helped me find apps for my phone to help track what I ate. He also found me websites I could read to get more info and he even loaded some weight loss books on my phone so I could listen to them while driving. I really wanted it to be a change of life not a "diet!" (I knew that if I thought of it as a diet it would never work long term.) It also had to be something doable, not crazy or extreme, I didn't want to lose just to gain again. I soon came up with a plan I thought would work for me and I jumped in head first, off the deep end (so to speak). If I was going to do it I was going to do it 100%!!
The competition started Jan 31st and would be 17 weeks long ending on Memorial Day. I was thinking to myself that if I could lose 20 lb. in that time it would give me a good push in the direction I needed to go. (I started the competition weighing 205 lb.) I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I was when I started to lose weight! The first week I lost over five pounds! As the weeks went on I started to think I just might be on to something, this just might work! So I came up with the plan to take photos every 20 pounds and hang them side by side to help keep me motivated! But I hadn't taken one to start with...then I remembered the one from 2009 and decided to wear the same clothes and stand in the same spot so I could really compare them. 
And now I have decided to share them with you! I'll worn you though glamor shots they are not! But I hope you will be able to see the changes...






















210 lb. March 2009





















185 lb. March 2011



165 lb. May 2011























145 lb. Jan 2012


I reached my goal of 140 lbs. on Aug 11th 2011!!

(I had failed to take the 145 lb. photo on my way down the scale so I took advantage of my 5 lb. weight gain over the holidays.)

Now I am in training for my first Half Marathon...





11 comments:

Carie said...

Janice, you are amazing!

Thanks for sharing your incredible story.

P.S. How fun to HAVE to buy new clothes. :)

Robyn said...

Janice, you have always been beautiful and strong, and all of these pictures show your determination and achievement. So proud of you!!

Sheri Dickson Woodson said...

You're a great inspiration to many around you. It's been a lot of fun to watch you go after your new goal of running a half-marathon.

Shayla said...

You are awesome! I put you and Sheri down as my inspiration on my work plan to kick my final 20lbs!

Sidney said...

Way to go!! You are so amazing!! so proud of you you wonderful woman you! Love you tons!!

Sheri Dickson Woodson said...

You have always been beautiful inside and out. You are an amazing person in so many ways. And now your Mom has also lost 52 lbs. because of you and Sheri and feel so much better. However, I am just going to watch the marathon!! You and Matt really stuck to your goal of losing and keeping your goal going. That is awesome.

Tracy Collings said...

I LOVE the pictures!! It was amazing to see the transformation before, but having the pictures in the process is great!! I know you can do a half marathon! Enjoy the training!!

Stephanie Dickson said...

Amazing! Way to accomplish such a difficult goal!

Erin said...

Way to go lady!! You look amazing!

We're All Wright said...

I LOVE IT!!! I have no doubt that you are one girl who can do anything you set your mind to! A rare breed!I love you to bits!

Unknown said...

If I haven't told you enough YOU LOOK SO GREAT and I am SOOOOOO proud of you! You and your husband look amazing and everytime I get a post on facebook about your runs I just smile from ear to ear! I am so happy things have worked so well for you. Good luck on the run!!

BlogPatrol Free Blog Counter